This page contains enriched content visible when JavaScript is enabled or by clicking here. Skip to main content

Library Services

  1. Library Services Home
  2. Resources
  3. Support
  4. About
  5. My Library

City Research Online: Which version of my paper should I upload?

Find out more about City Research Online, including how to add your papers, who to contact for help, and more about Open Access at City.

What version of an article shall I upload?

For journal articles and published conferences, most publishers will allow you to use the "Author's Accepted Manuscript" (AAM) version in a repository. This means the version that you sent to the journal that incorporates peer-review comments and which is then accepted by the journal. It may still need copy-editing for typos and spelling, and is often a Word document or PDF. It usually won't have the publisher's formatting on it.

If you want to use an article or published conference paper in the next REF submission, this Author's Accepted Manuscript version is the one you'll need to send us, within three months of the date that it's accepted by the journal. Find out more in HEFCE's Policy for open access in the post-2014 Research Excellence Framework and City's Policy on Open Access Publishing.

Sometimes other versions, such as the final published version, are allowed by publishers, especially if you have published the article using Gold Open Access. We can advise on this, so if you're not sure, please contact

How do I find out which version a journal allows me to use?

HEFCE's Policy for open access in the post-2014 Research Excellence Framework recommends using SHERPA/RoMEO to work out which journals will allow you to upload your Author's Accepted Manuscript (AAM) version to Institutional Repositories like City Research Online.

Use the search form to locate the journal either by title or the ISSN. In the journal's description page, a a large green tick next to "Author's Post-Print" means that you can upload your AAM to City Research Online. These journals are colour-coded as either Green or Blue on SHERPA/RoMEO.

If you can't find the journal or you're not sure, get in touch with us for help:

Further Reading

Adding a new entry and uploading the paper to your profile

To add a new publication to your Staff Profile, you need to add it to City Research Online's publications database first.  You can do that by logging into with your City IT log in details. Full instructions are available here:

Creative Commons Licences

Help with City Research Online and Library Services for City University Staff

  • Help with City Research Online: the Publications team is based within Library Services and can help by email or provide 1-2-1 support or group training. Email us to find out more:
  • Help with other areas of your Staff Profile: contact
  • Library Services for Researchers and Staff: find out more about how Library Services can help you with your research and teaching using our guides.  There's also a general guide for students, and detailed Subject Guides for library resources are available for each subject taught at the University.