Skip to main content

Library Services

  1. Library Services Home
  2. Resources
  3. Support
  4. About
  5. My Library

Library Services for Additional Needs

Disability and neurodiversity support

Extended loans

Extended loans can be put in place for library users needing extra time. 7 Day Loans will be extended to 14 days

Extended loans are on referral and will be put in place following your meeting with Disability Services or Neurodiversity Support.

Renewal of this material is for 7 days only.

24 hour and 4 week loan items are not included in extended loan arrangements.

Please note that the loan period of heavily requested items will automatically be reduced to 7 days.

Book Collection

Users may request that materials be retrieved in advance of their visit.  This service is available with half a day’s notice. To use this service a referral from Disability Services or Neurodiversity Support must be received by Library Services. 

We can only process one request for you per day of up to 20 items for Undergraduate students, 25 items for Postgraduate students, 30 items for staff.

Email or telephone your requests to:

Site  Email  Phone


Northampton Square Library +44 (0)20 7040 4061
Business Library +44 (0)20 7 040 8787
City Law School
(Gray's Inn Place) +44 (0) 20 7 040 0342 
City Law School
(Northampton Square) +44 (0) 20 7040 4204


If you require assistance with book location, retrieval, access to shelves, or stock transfer to other floors during your visit, please contact:

  • Northampton Square Library: Library Staff at the Level 2 service desk, the Level 5 help desk (11am – 5pm during term time)
    or alert our roving staff (11.30am – 5pm) or shelving staff (9am – 12pm and 2pm – 5pm, during term time) who will be happy to assist.
  • Cass Learning Resource Centre and City Law School Libraries, please contact service desk staff.

Access for Assistants or Non-Medical Helpers

Library Access for Assistants and Non-Medical Helpers must be arranged via the Disability Support or Neurodiversity Support departments. Approved Assistants and Non-Medical Helpers will need a City card to access the Library, this must be arranged prior to your visit through the Disability Support or Neurodiversity Support departments.


Proxy borrowing

We are able to provide proxy borrowing for students registered with Disability Support, who are unable to visit the library to borrow materials. Proxy borrowing means that your Support Worker/Non-Medical Helper, will be able to borrow materials which will be issued to your account. To use this service a referral from Disability Support must be received by the Library first.

To set up a proxy borrower

1. A City card for your Support Worker/Non-Medical Helper should be arranged via Disability Support.

2. You will need to notify us of the contact details of your proxy, so that we can hold their details on your library record.

  • You can register your proxy by email
  • By sending written correspondence via your proxy
  • Or in person if you are both on campus

You must provide the following details

  • Your name
  • Your Registration number on your City card
  • Your Barcode number on your City card (beginning 280080)
  • Your Support Worker/Non-Medical Helper's name
  • Your Support Worker/Non-Medical Helper's email address
  • The Registration number on their City card
  • The Barcode number on their City card (beginning 280080)

We will notify you and your proxy borrower when this is set up.

If you have a proxy borrower, you will still be the main City card-holder and you will remain responsible for any materials borrowed by your proxy and for any overdue charges incurred.


Assistance with searches

Library users requiring assistance with searching for books and other resources can visit the Library Help Desks.

Individual Library Induction

Individual support can be offered to students requiring a library induction or assistance with assistive technology.

Your library site representative will be pleased to arrange an individual introduction to library services. In the first instance you should contact Disability Services who will make a referral and provide us with an initial assessment of your requirements.
City staff should contact the library location representative directly.

You can also book a 1-2-1 or contact your Subject Librarian if you need further help searching for and accessing resources in your subject area.